Welcome

In the mid-1980s, I was witness to an incident where an upgrade to the SS7 software used in AT&T's long distance network took most of North America's long distance service down hard for more than twenty-four hours. It was then that I began formulating what came to be called Pinkston's Law: MOST OUTAGES BEGIN AS UPGRADES

Over the years since, I have seen this happen so often that whenever I hear of a major telecom or data service outage, my first thought is, "Must have been an upgrade. Pinkston's Law." In the vast majority of cases it turns out that that's exactly what it was! So, at the urging of those closest to me, I've started this blog to chronicle the occurrences of Pinkston's law whenever I hear of them.

Friday, December 25, 2009

PayPal Upgrade Causes Major Outage, Affects Debit-Card Users: Oct 8, 2004


  • Length of outage: At least 4 days

  • Number of people affected: Unknown, but clearly many hundreds of thousands.
PayPal has become such a major part of our lives for online commerce that we often think of it as something that is just "always there to use" like ATMs. But, of course, it runs on a complex network of servers and other equipment, and with those come upgrades.
Read the original article HERE.
Here's the official word from PayPal (I find it interesting that companies in this situation invariably send out a female staffer to read the official statement to the press. Perhaps they reason that it puts a sweeter face on their weasel carefully-chosen words?) :
PayPal spokesperson Amanda Pires said in addition to the new home page, PayPal "added some features on the backend" on Friday that were the cause of the problem. Pires said, "Everyone is working fast and furiously to get it all fixed." The problems are intermittent, she said, but declined to describe their nature or reveal the features that were added on Friday.
Paypal is owned by eBay, and they now have little in the way of competition to keep them on their toes. As something of an "insider" in one of my jobs, I witnessed some PayPal outages and service degradations that were never publicly acknowledged, so I will not cover them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment